Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Mary Jane Massey 1856-1942



Mary Jane Massey was a woman of many gifts. 

She has passed those gifts down for generations.

Mary Jane was said to be a wonderful cook! Aunt Vena told me there was always food at Grandma's house. Cousin Millie Collins wrote she made a delicious chicken pot pie. I think there's good food at EVERY Hall event, from camping trips to church socials to family reunions. Every Hall woman in my life has been a great cook! I have fond memories of those big holiday dinners where everyone brought food and shared. My middle son, Rob, has inherited Mary Jane's love of cooking.

Mary Jane loved to do crafts. My "Ma" Cato inherited that love, and passed it down to me. Mary Jane melted colored glass and made mosaics of it. She also did beautiful needlework like rugs and patchwork quilts, useful crafts for pioneer women who learned not to waste a thing.

Mary Jane also loved animals. Mildred Collins wrote that she had a pet squirrel named "Fidgie," a pet crow named "Blackie," and a dog named "Trixie." I remember Aunt Vena having a pet crow too. It cussed like a sailor and she finally had to rehome it!

Mary Jane inherited her father's love for scaring people. I guess that's just another Hall trait. Aunt Vena told me in her latest interview how Mary Jane would take an old gunny sack and tie the corners into ears. She'd cut a hold for eyes, nose, and mouth, stuff the thing, then tie it to a broomstick. Then she'd wait til dark and sneak outside and hold the thing up in the window to scare the kids. Aunt Vena said they'd run and scream, even though they KNEW it was her! They called that "Old Tall Betsy." 

Here's how a gunny sack mask looks. SCARY!
Vintage photo of family in gunny sack and sheet masks.
 Ma Cato told me about how Mary Jane had an old turkey skin with the feathers cured on it. She was a tiny woman. She'd put on her husband's old wool overcoat and put that skin over her head and chase the kids through the woods, cackling the whole time. Mildred Collins told of Millie making "Raw Head" and "Bloody Bones," all the time laughing while thinking how much fun it was going to be to scare the children! My son Rob loves scaring people. I guess he gets it naturally!

There are other stories about Mary Jane, but I'll save those for another time. 

For now, study the photo I've posted. 
I think her personality really comes through, doesn't it? 

Did anyone in your family inherit Mary Jane's gifts for cooking, art, or being a trickster?

I wish I'd know this tiny woman with a twinkle in her eyes!
She must have been a real character!


George A Hall and Mary Jane Massey


Mary Jane with Uncle Mac (William McKinley Hall)

No comments:

Post a Comment